Security Clearance Reciprocity Initiatives
The Director of National Intelligence, in his role as the Security Executive Agent, is developing a Reciprocity Strategy for security clearance reciprocity as required by the Fiscal Year 2013 Intelligence Authorization Act and the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. The Strategy will be guided by information obtained from:
- The results of a Research Study by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) which includes:
- Site visits to departments/agencies to review reciprocal clearance/access requests and processes;
- Documentation of the “as-is” process, benchmark of timeliness expectations, identification of barriers, best practices, and achievable metrics; and
- Identification of the conditions under which additional investigation or adjudicative actions may be taken.
- The results of the 2013 Counterintelligence Mission Review Intelligence Community Questionnaire which includes responses to questions regarding department/agency reciprocity processes.
- A review of statutes, policies, and recommendations from recent security clearance reform reviews relevant to reciprocity.
The ODNI will use the research study to develop reciprocity performance measures (metrics) and a new Reciprocity Policy. Also under consideration is the development of a web-based data collection tool with the capability of identifying trends in the application of the reciprocity policy.